Manuscripts should be in MS Word format, submitted electronically as an email attachment to our email address.
We also welcome:
- Both books for review or unsolicited reviews. In the case of books for review, please send them to:
Studia Iberica et Americana c/o Dr Enric Mallorquí-Ruscalleda
Dept Modern Languages & Literatures
800 N State College Blvd H-820A
California State University, Fullerton
Fullerton, CA 92831-3599
- Monographs dealing with any of the areas/periods covered by SIBA.
- Proposals for volumes of collected essays. In this case, abstract, title and name of the collaborators should be sent, along with a short general abstract.
Please read carefully the instructions for authors before making a submission. Complete guidelines for preparing and submitting your manuscript to this journal are provided below.
- The article length should not exceed 5000 words, not including references.
- A concise and factual abstract of 150-200 words is required, in English and Spanish. The abstract should state briefly the purpose of the research, the main results and major conclusions.
- After the abstract, authors must provide a maximum of 5 keywords, both in English and in Spanish.
- These keywords will be used for indexing purposes and must be chosen from the controlled list of keywords of the ERIC thesaurus (available at ERIC database from EBSCO, PROQUEST, OVID).
- The manuscript has to be formatted according to the SIBA style guidelines (Note: The revision process of articles not formatted according to the SIBA template might take considerably longer).
- The submission file is Microsoft Word.
- The manuscript divided into sections appropriate to a research article (e.g. Introduction, main body of the text, conclusions).
- Subsections should be numbered 1.1 (then 1.1.1, 1.1.2, etc.), 1.2, etc. Any subsection may be given a brief heading, and each heading should appear on its own separate line.
Articles can be written in English, Spanish, Catalan, Galician, and Portuguese. In any case, SIBA will not provide free translation services.
Other language criteria:
- Check on consistency of spelling in any chosen language (i.e.: consistent use of American or British English) before submitting the paper.
- National colloquialisms and idiomatic use of language should be avoided to prevent misinterpretations.
- Gender-neutral language is preferred.
- Failing to provide a grammatically and syntactically correct text (either in English or any other language) could be a valid reason to justify rejection of a submission.
- The writing style should follow the style guideline of the MLA Handbook (8th edition). If authors are non-English speakers, it is highly recommended that a native English speaker—preferably with experience in academic writing—read the article before submission.
- Only internationally accepted abbreviations can be used without definition. Other abbreviations should be defined at first mention in the text.
- The manuscript should explain and correctly quote the sources and materials used.
- References should be prepared according to the MLA Handbook (7th edition). Every reference quoted in the text must also be present in the reference list and vice versa.
- Authors should not self-quote or cite other SIBA articles excessively.
- If possible a DOI (Digital Object Identifier) must be provided for all references quoted in the manuscript that have one (http://www.doi.org).
- Whenever possible, URLs for the references should also be provided.
Tables and Figures
- Tables and Figures should be numbered consecutively by Arabic numerals (Table 1, Figure 1, etc.).
- The exact location of all tables and figures must be indicated in the manuscript.
- Tables and figures should provide additional information that is not repeated in the text.
- Graphics must be sent as JPG, TIFF or EPS files.
- All graphics must be sent in high-resolution (i.e. 300 DPI).
- All figure captions have to be included in the manuscript.
- Citations of other texts should be limited to those strictly necessary for the argument. Any quotations should be brief, and accompanied by precise references following the MLA Handbook (7th edition).
- All articles submitted to SIBA must be original. The authors must guarantee that the article has not been previously published elsewhere, nor is it under consideration by any other publisher.
Authors' Name and Affiliation
- All the identification details of the authors including whole name, professional affiliation (specifying the city and country) and e-mail addresses must be provided.
- The authors' signature format must respect the international database regulations for the indexation of authors and webpages. Information can be found at Recursos Cientificos.
- For more information, please see also the International Registry for Authors.
Other Important Aspects
- In case of publicly-funded research, the authors must state the name of the project and the funding entities in the manuscript file.
- Permission must have been obtained by each author/s for use of copyrighted material from other sources, including the Internet.
- Published authors will be required to sign the Transfer of Copyright Agreement form.
The names and email addresses entered in this journal site will be used exclusively for the stated purposes of this journal and will not be made available for any other purpose or to any other party.